Teenage motorist killed grandad seconds after speeding at 81mph on 20mph street


Rexon Rebidelmo, 19, slammed on his brakes but was still doing 56mph when he hit a car being driven by 81-year-old Charles Burcombe

A teenage motorist who killed a grandad seconds after clocking 81mph on a 20mph street has been jailed for more than five years.

Rexon Rebidelmo, 19, slammed on his brakes but was still doing 56mph when he hit a car being driven by 81-year-old Charles Burcombe in Mitcham.

Mr Burcombe had gone out in his car with his 12-year-old grandson to buy baked beans in the run-up to Christmas in 2019.

When he began to manoeuvre his car into the clear road, Rebidelmo crashed into the side of the vehicle.

The grandad tragically died instantly while his grandson suffered minor injuries in the crash at 3.40pm.

According to GPS data, which was used to track the movements of the car leading up to the fatal collision, Rebidelmo was driving around the local area, accelerating to high speeds on streets that were 20mph.

The data showed that when Rebidelmo turned into the same road as the pair, he had reached a speed of 78mph.

Just two seconds before the crash, Rebidelmo was travelling at 81mph – more than four times the speed limit.

Rebidelmo of Mitcham, was arrested by officers at the scene.

He pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving and driving while uninsured and unlicensed.

Detectives from the Met’s Roads and Transport Policing Command led the investigation into what happened.

They seized footage that identified the car that Rebidelmo was driving in the lead up to the deadly collision, as well as identifying him as the driver.

It showed that Rebidelmo had been driving around the area of Mitcham and Morden prior to the crash, reaching speeds of approximately 58mph along streets that were 20 mph.

When questioned by detectives, Rebidelmo answered ‘no comment’ to all questions put to him during an interview.

Detective Constable Victor Barkes from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit, who led the investigation said: “This is a heartbreaking and tragic case where an innocent man has lost his life and the lives of so many others have been shattered by the careless and dangerous actions of Rexon Rebidelmo.

“I hope that today’s outcome can provide some comfort at this incredibly difficult time.

“Rebidelmo showed plain disregard for the lives of others as he drove at excessive speeds along 20mph roads.

“When he saw Charles’ car it was too late, he was driving too fast to avoid hitting Charles and his grandson. As this case tragically underscores, speeding can have fatal consequences.”

Rebidelmo appeared at Kingston Crown Court on Friday 12 November where he was sentenced to five years and three months in prison.